Sore throats are a common symptom of infection and can be caused by a variety of conditions, such as viral infections, allergies, pollution, and dry air. Sore throat pain and discomfort can range from mild to severe and can be alleviated through various home remedies and over-the-counter medications.
To soothe a sore throat, it is important to stay hydrated and rest. Additionally, gargling with warm salt water can help to reduce swelling and relieve pain. Throat lozenges, mints, and mild throat sprays can also provide temporary relief from sore throat pain. Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen can also reduce throat discomfort and swelling.
Soothing sore throats can be challenging, and a variety of natural drinks may provide relief. Here is a list of 20 drinks and beverages that may help to ease throat pain.
- Warm water with honey and lemon – This classic home remedy may help to reduce inflammation and ease sore throat pain.
- Warm herbal tea – Herbal teas such as chamomile, ginger, or licorice root tea may help to soothe sore throats.
- Apple cider vinegar with warm water – Sipping a mixture of warm water and apple cider vinegar may help to reduce throat inflammation.
- Coconut water – Coconut water is high in electrolytes and may help to reduce inflammation and hydrate the body.
- Aloe vera juice – Aloe vera juice has natural anti-inflammatory properties that may help to reduce throat irritation.
- Broth-based soups – Soups made with broth may help to reduce throat irritation, due to their heat and moisture.
- Turmeric milk – Adding turmeric to a glass of warm milk may help to reduce inflammation.
- Warm ginger ale – Ginger is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and may help to reduce throat irritation.
- Beet juice – Beet juice is packed with antioxidants and vitamins that may help to reduce throat pain.
- Cranberry juice – Cranberry juice is a rich source of vitamin C and may help to reduce inflammation.
- Citrus fruits – Citrus fruits such as oranges and lemons are high in vitamin C and may help to reduce throat pain.
- Green tea – Green tea contains polyphenols, which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that may help to reduce throat irritation.
- Slippery elm tea – Slippery elm is a natural remedy known for its anti-inflammatory properties and may help to reduce throat discomfort.
- Mix of honey, molasses and ginger – This natural remedy may help to reduce inflammation and provide relief from throat discomfort.
- Mint leaves – Mint leaves are known for their soothing properties and may help to relieve throat irritation.
- Hyssop tea – Hyssop is a herb that has been used for centuries as a remedy for sore throat.
- Garlic and honey – Garlic has natural anti-inflammatory properties, while honey is known to have soothing properties.
- Sesame oil – Sesame oil is known to have anti-inflammatory properties and may help to reduce throat pain.
- Carrot and spinach juice – These two foods are packed with vitamins and antioxidants, which can help to reduce throat pain.
- Baking soda and lukewarm water – This natural remedy may help to reduce throat pain and inflammation.
Other remedies for sore throats include steam inhalation, gargling with lemon and honey, drinking herbal teas such as chamomile or slippery elm, and applying cold compresses to the throat. However, it is important to speak with your doctor to rule out any serious underlying conditions.
If your sore throat persists, it is important to contact your doctor for further evaluation.