What Happens to Dental Veneers After 10 or 15 Years?
What Happens to Veneers After 10 Years?
Dental veneers can be used to change the color, shape, and size of the teeth. They address many cosmetic concerns and are a perfect option for improving the appearance of your teeth.
Typically, the average lifespan of a dental veneer is 10-15 years. In some cases, they can be used for up to 20 years or more if properly cared for and maintained.
So, what happens to dental veneers after this time? Let’s have a look at what happens to dental veneers over time.
Why Do Veneers Have to Be Replaced?
Even though veneers are known to be long-term treatments, it’s crucial to keep in mind that they do eventually wear out. You may also need to replace your veneers sooner than you anticipated if:
- Your dental veneer has been chipped, cracked, or worn down.
- The tooth behind the dental veneer starts to decay.
- Your gum tissue starts to recede exposing a gap between the veneers and the gum line.
- Your dental veneer is discolored or stained.
- Your dental veneer feels uncomfortable.
- The dental veneer comes loose.
Dental veneers are made of different materials such as composite resin, porcelain, zirconia, and E-max. Out of all dental veneer types, while being the cheapest option, composite resin veneers have the shortest lifespan, which is roughly 3-5 years. So, you might need to get a replacement sooner if you get a composite resin dental veneer.
Veneers require the same attention as natural teeth. Gum recession and tooth decay can happen due to poor oral hygiene. After they get a dental veneer, it is important that the patients follow a healthy oral hygiene routine. Another crucial point is visiting your dentist regularly to ensure your veneers are functioning properly. This will prevent gum issues and decay and extend the lifespan of dental veneers.
Before a custom-made dental veneer is placed on a tooth, the dentist tests how it fits and whether it has no bite problems. However, dental veneers can be uncomfortable or fall off when they are not properly placed or when they are the wrong size which would require a replacement. To avoid this, it is important to receive treatment in a reliable dental clinic.
How to Avoid Chipping Your Dental Veneers?
Dental veneers are a great way to solve aesthetic problems such as discoloration, stains, misalignment, and chipped or damaged teeth However, just like natural teeth, veneers can also chip or break over time. Fortunately, this situation can be fixed easily.
Here are a few tips to help you maintain the nice appearance of your dental veneers for longer, even after 10-15 years.
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. When you use your teeth to hold objects or open packages, you are risking your dental veneers. Pressure or hard objects can cause chips or cracks on the veneers.
- Don’t bite your nails. While it is a very common habit, biting nails can be damaging to dental veneers. Fingernails are much harder than most of us realize and biting them puts a lot of pressure on the teeth. Even natural teeth can chip due to nail biting. Since most people use their front teeth when biting their nails, you might want to be extra careful if you have a dental veneer on one of your front teeth.
- Protect your teeth during physical activities. Many people accidentally chip their teeth while doing sports or swimming in the pool. Be cautious and protect your teeth when you can.
- Practice good oral hygiene. Regular dental visits allow the dentist to check the veneers to make sure they are all in good condition while also keeping your teeth healthy. Make sure to brush your teeth and floss. Don’t be too harsh when brushing or flossing to avoid damaging your veneers.
- If you grind your teeth, consult your dentist to find solutions. Bruxism, or teeth grinding, puts a lot of stress on the teeth. In severe cases, the pressure from the grinding can damage dental prosthetics like dental veneers. If you grind your teeth during nighttime, wearing a mouth guard may be a helpful solution.
- While it does not cause chipping directly, if you smoke, it is highly recommended that you consider quitting. Smoking can stain the teeth and badly affect your overall oral health. While most dental veneers are extremely stain-resistant, heavy and frequent smoking can damage the veneers and cause them to discolor in some cases.
How Are Veneers Replaced? Replacing Your Dental Veneers in Turkey After 10 Years
With proper care, you can enjoy the benefits of your dental veneers for years. Teeth veneers of good quality have the potential to last a long time. However, it is likely that you will need to get your veneers replaced sometime in the future as they finally wear out.
The procedure for replacing an old or damaged dental veneer is very similar to the initial installation. After removing the thin dental veneer layer and as much of the old bonding agent as possible, the dentist will take new measurements of your teeth. Then, a new dental veneer will be custom-made and placed in place of the previous veneer.
Veneers can be replaced multiple times without a problem. The first time you get dental veneers, a thin layer of tooth enamel needs to be removed from the front surface of your teeth to make room for the veneer. But usually, no additional enamel needs to be removed when veneers are replaced.
How Much Do Dental Veneers Cost in Turkey?
Turkey is listed among the best dental tourism destinations in the world. Cosmetic treatments such as dental veneers and Hollywood smile makeovers are some of the most requested dental treatments by foreign visitors to Turkey.
The popularity of Turkey as a dental care hub is due to its affordability and successful dental clinics and treatments. Generally, dental care is 50-70% less expensive in Turkey in comparison to countries such as the UK and the USA. This is why thousands of people from abroad visit Turkish dental clinics each year.
As long as you take excellent care of your teeth and oral health, you should be able to use your dental veneers for decades. CureHoliday. is working with some of the most reliable dental clinics and dentists located in cities such as Istanbul, Izmir, Antalya, Fethiye, and Kusadasi. Thanks to low-cost dental holiday packages in Turkey for dental veneers, you will be able to save more than half of your money.
Are you wondering whether getting dental veneers in Turkey is worth it? We invite you to reach out to us with your questions. You can benefit from free dentist consultation opportunities. If you wish to know more about dental veneer treatments in Turkey, contact us through our message lines.