A gastric balloon is a non-surgical tool used in the treatment of obesity. It can assist you in achieving the health and aesthetic advantages of weight loss when combined with a controlled diet.
Weight and obesity problems are big issues in Spain. It has been stated that roughly a third of the Spanish population can be categorized as overweight. The situation has only been worsened by the pandemic, as people spent time at home more than usual with minimal exercise. It is predicted that the number of overweight people in Spain will continue to increase in the coming years. As a result, there is a great demand for weight loss treatments in the country, as Spaniards seek treatments both in Spain and overseas.
What Is Gastric Balloon? How Does a Gastric Balloon Work?
A gastric balloon, also commonly referred to as an intragastric balloon or stomach balloon, is a non-invasive, non-surgical weight loss procedure. The gastric balloon does not require the surgical removal of a portion of the stomach, unlike weight loss procedures like a gastric sleeve or gastric bypass.
During a gastric balloon procedure, as the name implies, a special medical balloon is inserted into the patient’s stomach. The gastric balloon is endoscopically placed into the stomach, and filled with saline until it is about the size and weight of a grapefruit. The process of food digestion is slowed down as a result of the gastric balloon taking up space in the stomach. Patients no longer experience frequent food cravings and feel fuller for longer periods of time following the surgery. This makes dieting much more achievable and easy.
There are various types of gastric balloons by different brands. The process may change depending on which one you will choose. For example, there are swallowable gastric balloons that can be easily placed in the stomach.
There are two basic types of gastric balloons that usually stay in the stomach for six or twelve months. The most recommended procedure is a six-month gastric balloon.
What Are the Pros and Cons of a Gastric Balloon in Spain?
Because of its many benefits, gastric balloon treatment is becoming more and more popular. Gastric balloon treatment advantages such as;
- Non-Surgical: There are no permanent changes to the stomach and no incisions.
- Convenient Pre-Op: You do not need to take any medicine or adhere to a strict diet before gastric balloon treatment. Usually, only requirements are no drinking in the ten hours before the operation and no eating in the next day.
- Fast Treatment: The procedure itself in the hospital takes only about 15-20 minutes to perform on average.
- Successful Outcomes: Patients typically see weight loss that ranges from 15% to 20% of their original weight. Over the course of six months, a weight loss of about 10-15 kilograms (20-50 pounds) might be anticipated.
- Painless: The side effects are mild and complications are rare.
- Good Price: Gastric balloon is one of the cheapest weight loss treatments available.
As with all medical procedures, gastric balloon treatment can have certain risks and disadvantages such as;
- Gastric balloon side effects in rare cases can include stomach discomfort, acid reflux, nausea and vomiting, back pain, and digestion issues.
- If the gastric balloon is inflated too much, it can cause discomfort and may require early removal. (There are also adjustable gastric balloons available)
- It’s possible to regain weight after the balloon is removed if proper lifestyle changes are not made.
- Not every patient loses the same amount of weight. Weight loss depends on the initial weight, age, exercise level, diet, and other medical conditions.
Best Gastric Balloon Prices in Madrid and Barcelona
The cost of living and healthcare is very similar in Madrid and Barcelona. It is possible to find gastric balloon treatment in both cities for prices starting from €4,000. Depending on the clinic policies and the gastric balloon brand the costs can go up to €5,500-€6,000.
Best Countries for Gastric Balloon Abroad
Medical tourism is the term used to describe going abroad for medical care. An increasing number of patients are traveling internationally nowadays to have weight loss procedures such as a gastric balloon, gastric botox, or gastric sleeve.
The main factor behind medical tourism’s popularity is the opportunity to spend less on healthcare while still getting high-quality treatments. Getting a gastric balloon overseas is the best way to save money if you can find a reputable and trusted medical clinic.
The UK, USA, Poland, Czechia, Mexico, and Turkey are some of the top locations outside of Spain for gastric balloon procedures. However, while there are many successful clinics in destinations like the UK and USA, their prices are usually even more expensive.
How Much Is Gastric Balloon in Turkey?
Turkey has been a popular destination because of its expert doctors, advanced medical facilities, reasonable costs, and vacation opportunities. It is a medical tourism hub welcoming thousands of guests from all around the world each year, the majority of which coming from Europe and the surrounding regions thanks to its close proximity.
Turkey is already among the well-liked tourist destinations for Spanish citizens with many Spaniards visiting cities like Istanbul, Antalya, and Kusadasi individually or with guided tours. So, visiting Turkey for medical treatments is not a foreign idea.
Turkey has some of the most affordable pricing in the region for weight loss procedures, including gastric balloon procedures. In comparison to more expensive countries like Spain and the UK, weight loss treatments in Turkey typically cost between 50% and 70% less.
Turkey is one of the most cost-effective locations in the world for gastric balloon treatment because prices typically start at €1,800. Gastric balloon procedures using Orbera, ReShape, and Obalon brands are available in reputable and skilled medical facilities in Istanbul and other Turkish cities.
Gastric balloon treatment can be very effective when combined with a good diet and adequate exercise. It is also a very quick and convenient way to lose weight. While there are many clinics in Europe offering gastric balloon treatment, CureHoliday is proud to work with some of the most reputable and successful clinics in Turkey with the best pricing.
If you are interested in learning more about gastric balloon treatment in Turkey, the prices for different types of gastric balloons, and how they could help you lose weight successfully, you can reach out to CureHoliday for a consultation and ask all your questions about the process.